Monday, February 13, 2012

Mammograms, and Boobies, and Scans... OH MY!

So I went to the breast and bone imaging center today.  I was scheduled for an ultrasound on the right breast.  Instead, they decided it would be ever-so-much-more fun to have me do a mammogram first.  You know, squeeze the life out of your girls before they scan them.  I'm convinced the doctors do this so your girls don't put up a fight during the scan.  So much fun.  Like trying to make balloon animals out of your breasts while you stand there and try not to breathe.  I think I'll plan one again soon- like a vacation for my boobies (there's a word I never thought I'd use in my blog).  

But seriously.  It really wasn't that bad.  I kept hearing all of these horror stories about mammograms, and that just wasn't my experience.  I had a great technician who made me feel very comfortable (except for that whole "I think my breast may explode" thing).  And when all was said and done, I felt good about having had my first scan out of the way.  

 
Of course, I could have done without the awkward waiting room.  It was like sitting in a spa with a room full of half dressed women.  Only there was no spa portion of the afternoon.  I wrestled with my robe so I wouldn't flash the entire room and I think I finally found a position that only exposed half of the girls to a small portion of the room.  It was my Pamela Anderson moment... only there was no beach and I wasn't jogging in slow mo with a fake tan and too much hair spray.  But other than that...  

So anyway, we finished up the mammo and then I waited.  Again.  And then they brought me back to the ultrasound room where they scanned the breast area and the lump area and the radiologist came in to discuss her findings with me.  She said she believed what she was seeing was a nasty infection.  Seriously.  After waiting three hours in this place filled with breast cancer posters and literature, I was 100% CONVINCED that when she came in, she would tell me I had some form of breast cancer. No, not because I'm a hypochondriac, but because I had read so much on the internet and in the waiting rooms, that I had convinced myself that all of my symptoms were related and I was going to be told I had breast cancer.  But instead, when she came in, she said the boobies are all clear!  (Yes, I'm a little immature and I just said boobies for effect).  

But that's right.  NO CANCER. NOTHING SERIOUS!!!

I mean, the infection is deep enough to require a small surgery to drain it, but it's NOTHING compared to what my brain was prepared to hear!  :)  Can I get a hallelujah?!?  

I thought I might feel silly if I found out it wasn't serious because there has been sooooooo much going on with me the past few months and surely people were over the drama, right?  But in reality, it was scary thing to go through and people were right there, praying with me/for me, walking through this with me.  It was real-life and really terrifying.  It was a week I'd like to never again repeat.  But it was also a week where real prayer warriors showed up stood in the gap, helping to bring peace to my heart and to our home.  

So I wanted to take a minute to say thanks for walking through this with me.  Thanks for praying.  I mean it.  I've been overwhelmingly blessed by your e-mails, phone calls, texts, and FB messages.  

So for now- have a wonderful evening!  I'm going to go cuddle up with my zebra-print snuggie and a book and thank the Lord for my health!

No longer paranoid.

No longer alone.

No longer I,

The real life, healthy mom.  :)

No comments: