Saturday, February 11, 2012

In Good Hands

Have I  ever told you that I'm a control freak?  I'm certain there's a better term for it, but control freak is the best thing my mind can compose at the moment, so let's go with it.

Anyway, I forget exactly when I discovered the nuisance under my arm pit.  I do remember it was only this past week so I didn't think it was anything of concern.  But then I realized what you can see is somewhat like an iceberg.  Surface level, there is an infection- this much I can see.  But I think this infection might be there to signal us to what is really going on.  There's a Cadbury Egg shaped (and sized) lymph node under this little cyst-type thing on my arm.  So when I say it's like an iceberg, I mean that what's actually there is so much larger than what is on the surface. It's a little intimidating- especially at night when the house is quiet and I have nothing to do but sit and let my mind wander.

The cyst-like thing on the top is tender, but the lymph node is large, very hard, and not tender.  All of this combined with a few other symptoms makes one a little more on edge than normal.  I'm not sleeping, definitely not resting, and just...  disturbed.  This week seems to be going by in slow motion.

Monday at 1:00 is the ultrasound.  That's 48 hours away.  48 hours to sit and think... and wait.  They said I should know a little more after that and hopefully the blood work will return by then as well.

In the mean time, I'm going CRAZY!  I do not like the feeling of not being in control.  Have I ever mentioned to you that I don't drink?  Well, I do on occasion- when we're celebrating or enjoying the company of our friends, but I discovered at an early age (I think I was 17... and I don't think I ever told my parents until right now) that I didn't like the way being drunk made me feel, so I resolved that if I chose to drink, it would only be one or two drinks at the most.  I. like. control... or at least I think I do.

I don't like the unknown is probably a better way to put it.  In reality, none of us is actually in control (and so thankful we are not).  Control is an illusion that I like to play into when I let my mind wander.  I like to imagine I've got it all "under control" when really our world can be spinning out of control at excessive speeds.

Thankfully, though- I can remember this.  The maker of the Heavens and the Earth- HE is the one in control and HE knows what I will find out this next week.  HE knows if there is something legit going on with me or if I'm just over-reacting.  HE knows what will happen today and tomorrow and everyday until the end of time.  So please tell me- why am I worried again? He's got the whole world in His hands, right?  And I'm still in that world... so...

So no more worrying.  NO more freaking out.  I mean, I'm human, so the thoughts will come.  I know worry will come, but I'll choose to take back these thoughts and process them in a healthy manner- by surrendering them and combating them with scripture and with truth.  Yes, some ideas of what could really be going on are scary, but even if something real is brewing in there... He's got this.  HE'S. GOT. THIS.  And even if I'll look like a fool in a few days for being so paranoid about it, HE'S. STILL. GOT. THIS.

Here are some scriptures I found while trying to approach this from a healthier mind set.  I was in the process of trying to surrender some of my thoughts and I stumbled on this.


Matthew 6:25-27  “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?

Matthew 6:34  Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 11:28-30  Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Luke 12:25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his  span of life?

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you;my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

So, my friend- you may not be dealing with silly armpit lumps, or control issues, but I wanted to encourage you as I was encouraged.  He's got this.  I don't have control and neither do you.  No matter what happens, HE'S GOT THIS.

And now I bet that song is stuck in your head, too...  He's got the whole world in His hands...




Trying to surrender- fears, thoughts, control... and trying to get that song out of my head.  :)

No longer I,

The VERY REAL LIFE mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, sweet Christi!