Monday, June 27, 2011

All Things

Did I ever tell you I wasn't supposed to be able to have children?  Yep.  That's right.  About ten years ago, a doctor confirmed that I had severe endometriosis, causing scarring that would prevent me from having children.  1,874,328 children later, I can clearly see that God had other plans.  I have some friends who haven't had it so easy, though.


I can remember sitting in our class on Sunday morning about 4 years ago.  I was pregnant with my third child- a TOTAL surprise (as were they all).  A friend of mine had been trying to get pregnant for a couple of years. I announced that I was pregnant.  My friend said that she was completely broken-hearted because so many of us "just so happened" to get pregnant and at this point, she would have done anything for a baby of her own.  I felt horrible. 


So I began to pray for this couple.  I wanted God to intervene and bless this precious family with a child of their own.  But He did not.  Another year passed and they were still  not pregnant. Then something crazy happened.  God had been moving in my heart and in my life.  He was changing me and teaching me how to pray and to trust Him.  During one of my quiet times, I felt like he was telling me that I needed to pray over this couple- like out loud.  Because... you know...  ya,I didn't know either.  At this point, I was NOT one to pray out loud.  The very thought made my sweat... like under the arms, ringing wet, shaky voice, sweat.  


This was a huge step in my prayer life.  I remember hearing a sermon during this time about faith and what it meant to really trust God.  I had always told people I'd pray for them and usually just went on about my own business, but something inside of me was really changing.  I felt like God was really pressing me to be bold- to step out in prayer.   I asked these friends of mine if they would meet me at a Wednesday night prayer service.  I was nervous.  I mean, what if God didn't answer?  What if I looked like an idiot?  What if I gave them false hope and they really weren't supposed to have any children?  Would they hate me?


More than nervous, I was afraid of what would happen if I wasn't obedient.  I mean- would He still work?  I knew He was telling me to do this, so the excitement of watching Him work conquered any fears that I had.  So my friends met me down front one Wednesday evening and I prayed for them.  I laid my hands on them and I prayed the first bold prayer I'd ever prayed.  I claimed life in a dry womb.  I claimed victory in Jesus name.  And for the first time in my life, I felt like God was giving me authority to speak in His name.  So I claimed that in His name, this beautiful couple would be blessed with a child.  I was so excited because from my core, I felt like God was really going to do this- to honor this prayer.  But still, a small part of me was nervous.  


For the next month, I continued to pray and believe that He was going to work.  One night, God gave me a dream of that sweet family and with them- a precious little child.  And then I knew.  I knew He'd done it.  So the next time I saw them at church, without hesitation, I asked her if she was pregnant.  The tears of joy in her eyes were all of the confirmation I needed.  God had, indeed answered our prayers.  He blessed this family with their very greatest desire and gave them their first child.  


I don't think there was anything magical about my prayer.  I don't think God needed me to do this.  I think he could have and would have performed this miracle with or without me.  He chose me for this particular task and today I was so blessed to learn that they are now expecting their third baby.  It wasn't just about a baby. It was about learning to trust.  I saw God show up in a way I'd previously only ever heard of and that experience didn't just bless me- it caused my faith to multiply exponentially and increased the faith of my family and the faith of everyone we knew.


I read this in my quiet time today:  "The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with." James 5:16  And to this, I say amen.  This experience taught me so many things, but one of the greatest things I learned was that prayer is the real work.  God doesn't NEED us to pray, He WANTS us to pray- to admit that we are not in control.  I love that verse- something powerful to be reckoned with.  Alone, we can do nothing, but Matthew 19:26 says "Jesus said to them, With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”  


So, congratulations to my dear friends!  I cannot wait to meet your new little prince or princess!  Every time I see your sweet family, I am reminded of just how powerful prayer really is!  Thanks for letting me be a part of this fabulous journey with you guys!  A few years ago, I never would have dreamed we'd be hearing the announcement of the third baby.  This is such a testimony of God's awesome power and His goodness.

"With God ALL things are possible."

No Longer I (in my prayer life),

The Real Life Mom

No comments: