Monday, May 12, 2008

So Selfish!

So after a bit of introspective deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that on the whole I am a very selfish person. In conversation, in life, in friendships, etc. I am just selfish and I don't like it. So I am going to make some changes. My good friend Tiffany encouraged me to listen and to ask more questions instead of being so all-consuming with conversation about me. She brought to my attention that people prefer to be listened to rather than talked to (duh- I so should have known that!), so that is the first step for me. I also will be working on other issues but this is huge for me as I feel like I have unconsciously offended or annoyed some new (and old) friends. I never thought about the impact my selfishness might be having on someone until really just today. What if a friend needed someone to listen? Would I be available and willing to listen or would I just make it all about me? Unfortunately it's been all about me but I think God can change that and will change that if I can just be more sensitive to His leading. I would hate to not be usable because of my own selfishness, so let me step back out of the way so God's love can come through my life and be poured out on to others. :)

No comments: