Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Secrets Of A Housewife... Part II- BIG GIRL PANTIES

Okay, so we're on to desperate housewives, part II.  ;)  My advice for the day?  Stop taking things so seriously.  That's right, I said it.  Put on your big girl panties and make a choice to let some of those things go. Or, as they say, don't sweat the small stuff- and it's all small stuff.

Truly, I can say I agree with this.  Today The Hottie accidentally knocked over the tackle box I keep my jewelry organized in... and sent half of my earrings and two of my favorite bracelets down the drain.  Here I had two options- 1- make him feel really bad and never see my jewelry again or 2- grab the big girl panties and laugh it off- let him off the hook so he can let himself off the hook- and never see my jewelry again.

I chose the latter of the two and it paid off big time.  He was already feeling awful and was trying to find ways to retrieve said jewelry when I walked in to the bathroom.  I knew he was mad at himself and in that moment I felt only compassion for this poor (adorable) soul.  I mean, after all- the jewelry can all be replaced, but that moment- I'll never get that back.

So I walked into the bathroom and just giggled.  Not what he expected- not even close (I think I even surprised myself a little here).  The old me would have overreacted and made him feel horrible for losing my $5 earrings (have I mentioned how cheap I am?)  But today I laughed... and then we laughed as he tried (unsuccessfully) to retrieve my jewelry.  And then something clicked inside of me and I realized it is possible to change- even in the seemingly small things.  In this instance, I chose not to take it seriously and because of it, we had a wonderful evening.  In the past, there would have been a lot of yelling and shaming, whining and nagging...  aren't you glad I bought those panties?

Now if only I could find that gift card to Sam Moon...

Big girl panties, my friends...  invest in a pair- they pay off better than Victoria's Secret.  ;)  Just sayin'.

No Longer I,

The Real Life Mom

1 comment:

Desiray said...

I love it put on the big girly pants and laugh....I could surely see myself in this blog I am glad you took the later, what a lesson we should learn. AMEN