Monday, November 28, 2011

Food For Thought

So...

Yeah.  I thought I'd jump on to blog because.... well... it's been FOR.EV.ER since I last wrote.  And I feel like I should at least try to write something.  The thing is, I've got nothing.  Those years of drugs must have really done me in.  (i'msokidding).  I never inhaled.  Okay, I better be careful.  This is how rumors get started.  for the record-  I was a D.A.R.E. kid.  I remember one time when the D.A.R.E. officers told us we could die from trying any drugs one time... so I never did.  Seriously.  That's all it took.  And no, I'm not a nerd- well, at least not anymore.  I was super afraid.  Even with all of my friends who occasionally smoked pot or did... whatever else they did.  I was afraid to die, so I "just said no".


Yeah... thanks to that pretty little logo, I was brainwashed for the better.

But I was a good kid.  Well, that's a lie.  I did get in to my fair share of trouble at home.  (And trust me when I say, it was NOT my fault.  I have a sister named Amy.  We'll blame 99.9% of it on her).  But outside of the house, I was a good kid...  at least, according to my memory.  My parents might tell a different story, and I'm certain my sister would, but since this is MY blog and MY story, I'll tell it MY way.  ;)

Annnnnyway, I was thinking today as I listened to a message from Dr. Chris Zaino.  He's a chiropractor here in the area.  Anyway, Dr. Zaino has some great insight about how the human body works.  I haven't committed to being a patient of his just yet, but I'm definitely a believer in what he had to share regarding getting through the holidays..

There was a point... and it was interrupted by ADD.

Oh yes!  So as you know, I've tried just about every diet known to man.  I've tried to lose weight and tried to maintain control of my physical body. But the funny thing is, I never stopped to consider what I am putting into my body that could be affecting everything else.  It was always about portion control, or eat this or don't eat that.  One of the things Dr. Zaino was talking about in this lecture was eating for life.  He really made me think about the quality of life I want to have.  I'll be on the earth for as long as God wants me to be here.  So if that's another 50 years, awesome. If not, awesome.  However long it is, I want to live a life that honors Him, and I want to be healthy doing it.

I think a life that honors Him includes making choices that honor Him.  1 Corinthians 10:31 says "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."  I don't think that making a choice to have an occasional treat is bad, but I do think that by overindulging consistently and allowing my health to go down the drain, I am also choosing 1- NOT to honor God and 2- whatever consequences come with living like that.

I guess what I'm getting at is- when I was younger I was so aware of what I didn't put in to my body.  I didn't want to die form the drugs and so I committed with a firm resolve to stand my ground against drugs- even in the midst of strong temptation (and trust me- the temptation caused by the need for man's approval is tremendous).  So what I'm thinking now is- more than half of the food and medicine I put into my body is toxic.  While it may not kill me immediately, it will definitely kill me eventually... or at least drastically decrease my quality of life.  So why not make the choice to eat for life instead living to eat?  Maybe instead of Drug Abuse Resistance Education, we can start FOOD Abuse Resistance Education?  It would be F.A.R.E...  Catchy?  What do you think?

Just some food for thought.

No Longer I

The Real Life Mom

No comments: