Thursday, August 25, 2011

Meet My Papa

Meet my Papa.  Jim Nash.

Today would have been his 91st birthday.  This man is one of the most amazing men I have ever met.  He deeply loved the Lord, passionately loved his wife.  He loved his two sons and his two granddaughters more than life itself.  He was such a passionate man (yes, I know this apple didn't fall far from the tree).  All in all, when he passed away almost nine years ago, he left an amazing legacy.

For instance- he knew how to love.  I would walk in to the kitchen where he was sitting doing a crossword or playing solitaire.  He would stand up from his card game, wrap me up in his arms, and whisk me around the kitchen, dancing to whatever tune was forever playing in his head.  Then my grandmother would be cooking and after nearly fifty years of marriage, he would walk behind her and affectionately pat her on the back side, causing a little giggle from her.  He would sit with me at the table and teach me card and domino games... he even taught me how to talk smack.  (Because, yes, awesomeness does run in our family).  He taught me how to garden, how to drive a riding lawnmower- and loved on me when I wrecked it in his garage. In this, he taught me forgiveness and unconditional love.

He disciplined me when I was stubborn and encouraged me as I grew.  He made me laugh and comforted my tears.  He showed me the joy in eating a peach picked fresh from the tree in his driveway and honey fresh from his bee hive.  He taught me how to pick strawberries off of the bushes growing in his yard and then enjoyed time with me as we sliced them over some fresh Blue Bell on a hot summer day.

He was so funny, so smart, so genuine.  I'll never forget his laugh or his smile.  I'll never forget the way he loved my grandmother and the Dallas Cowboys... almost equally.  In fact, the only time I ever heard him use and wordy dird was when he was watching the Cowboys lose to someone... those days were sad days in the Nash household.  In fact, I'm pretty sure if he were still alive today he'd have a few choice words for the boys... but I digress.

He was a beautiful man.  He was always reading, always studying the Word... or playing cards.  Every year when August 25 rolls around, I get a little sentimental as I think of this man and the life he lived.  I truly believe that the world was a better place because he was in it.  I truly believe my life is better because he was in it.  I wish you all could have known him and caught a glimpse of what we were so blessed to have.

My heart misses him, but at the same time, is comforted knowing he is so very much better off than he would have been on this earth.  He is with God and one day, I'm sure we will meet again where he can wrap me up in his arms and spin me around to whatever tune is then playing in his head.  Until then, I'll continue to be a part of the legacy he left.  I love you, Papa.  I hope I've made you proud.  Happy birthday!

1 comment:

Desiray said...

Thanks for sharing your papa with the world...it's a blessing to have a parent who loves the Lord and shows their children to have that same relationship with Him amen