Monday, September 10, 2012

In Progress

I've read so many blogs lately that I haven't felt much like blogging.  I guess I feel like everything  that needed to be said, has been said... so I've simply not been writing.

So in the mean time, I've been doing the mom thing.  

While "mom"-ing, I've learned a few things about myself.  Some fun, some... not so much.  

Of our five children, two are still at home with me during the day.  Last week was... rough, to say the least.  I needed some peace and quiet but every time I turned around, I could find only conflicts that needed to be resolved- conflicts accompanied by whiny, needy, overly-exhausted, clingy toddlers... and housework.

One day, after listening to what felt like hours of arguing between my two and four-year-old, I lost it.  

As I was about to unleash my frustration on Jacob, (my four-year-old), I began my tongue-lashing with this: "Jacob!  If it doesn't help, DON'T SAY IT!"  And in that moment, lightning struck my brain.  Several scriptures came to mind and I was immediately humbled.  

Don't you love it when that happens?!  I was in the middle of a self-righteous anger flare-up and... BAM!  

In that moment, I thought of Ephesians 4:29 which says- "Don't use foul or abusive language.  Let everything you say be good and helpful so your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them."  

Smack. In my face.

Was my tone with Jacob good and helpful?  Were my words encouraging?  Not so much.  

So I read Ephesians 4.  The whole chapter.  I'll include some hi-lights here as they jumped out at me.

Ephesians 4
Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God. 2 Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace...  


15 Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. 16 He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.

20 But that isn't what you learned about Christ. 21 Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, 22 throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. 23Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 24 Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy...
26 And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.”Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 for anger gives a foothold to the devil...

29 Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

30 And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.  31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you."

And so I've been thinking- not just about the way I speak to my littles.  I've been thinking about the way I treat everyone.  From my closest friends and family, to my worst enemies.  Am I living a life worthy of my calling?  Am I humble and gentle?  Patient?  Making allowances for the faults of others?  Nope.  Not always... but I'm working on this.




I'm a work in progress, friends... always in progress...

(more on this later).

No Longer I,

The Real Life Mom

No comments: